How do I breach the subject of getting a referral to a plastic surgeon with my doctor?

Dr. Annette Occhialini
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: It depends
On why you want the referral.
If it is for cosmetic reasons you don't need a referral as this is not covered by insurance. I would be up front as to why you think you need to see a plastic surgeon with your doctor.

In brief: It depends
On why you want the referral.
Dr. Annette Occhialini
Dr. Annette Occhialini
2 comments
Dr. Mike Bowman
If you have significant health problems your plastic surgeon may need to speak to your primary doctor anyway to make sure you are healthy enough for surgery!
Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
I agree: best to keep your primary doctor in the loop, particularly if you have pre-existing medical conditions. Plastic Surgeons and primary care specialists are very accustomed to working together to help patients pursue elective treatments. Best of luck!
Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Be honest
Just be honest and give your doctor appropriate reasons for requesting the referral.

In brief: Be honest
Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Dr. Scott Tucker
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Just ask
Most doctors are much more approciable than you may think.
Just talk to your doctor about your concerns and they can direct you to a plastic surgeon in your area that has the most experience in the procedure your interested in. Another option is to go on the aesthetic society website at www.Surgery.Org.

In brief: Just ask
Dr. Scott Tucker
Dr. Scott Tucker
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Simply ask
The best way is to ask a direct question.
If you feel,they are opinionated than ask another practitioner

In brief: Simply ask
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Robert Stroup
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Just ask
Trust me, your doctor has gotten the request hundreds of times before.
Just ask.

In brief: Just ask
Just ask.
Dr. Robert Stroup
Dr. Robert Stroup
Dr. Christopher Marek
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Just ask
Frequently you may not require a referral, but that may depend on what you are wanting to be seen for. Most physicians are happy to refer you to a specialist if you ask or make them aware of your concerns.

In brief: Just ask
Dr. Christopher Marek
Dr. Christopher Marek
Dr. Gary Tuma
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Referrals
You just need to ask your doctor for one.
If you are looking for cosmetic procedures, than a referral is not necessary as insurance does not cover cosmetic surgery.

In brief: Referrals
Dr. Gary Tuma
Dr. Gary Tuma
Dr. Todd Sisto
Breast Surgery
In brief: ?!
If its that uncomfortable to ask maybe you should re evaluate your current dr-pt relationship.
.. Just say "would you please refer me to a plastic surgeon. You could just go the the asps web page and get the referral yourself. If its for reconstruction, & insurance is involved you can go to thier web pg or you may have gotten a booklet of providers with your policy.

In brief: ?!
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Don't!
Often if you ask your doctor you may get his golfing buddy and not necessarily the best surgeon.
Certainly ask your doctor for a name, but get names from friends. Referrals from satisfied patients are your best bet. Make sure the doctor is a board certified plastic surgeon.

In brief: Don't!
Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Dr. Marc Klein
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Just ask
You should simply tell your physician what you are considering and ask him/her if she has a colleague in plastic surgery they recommend.
You should also ask a friend or refer to a list of board certified plastic surgeons in your area for additional consults.

In brief: Just ask
Dr. Marc Klein
Dr. Marc Klein
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham