Is it okay to take a shower with contacts, and if water gets in, clean it with solution?

Dr. Jennifer Lee
Ophthalmology
In brief: Acanthomeba
Many physicians worry when patients use tap water to store or clean their contacts due to a parasite called acanthomeba.
Getting a little tap water in there shouldn't hurt but using it for anything else is a bad eye idea.

In brief: Acanthomeba
Dr. Jennifer Lee
Dr. Jennifer Lee
Dr. Beth Friedland
Ophthalmology
In brief: Yes, usually
With soft cls it is usually safe to shower while wearing them; just be careful not to get water directly in your eyes.
If you do, it is advisable to take the cls out and rinse with disinfecting solution befre reinserting them. With gas permeable cls, the concern is that you might flush them out of your eyes with direct spray from the shower, but I have patients who sucessfully shower with them.

In brief: Yes, usually
Dr. Beth Friedland
Dr. Beth Friedland
Dr. Adam Levy