I think my son has an ear infection, what can I do for the discomfort besides tylenol (acetaminophen)?

Dr. Rodrigo Argenal
In brief: Motrin and warmth
Try to see if Motrin (ibuprofen) helps any better. Also apply warmth to ear thru your palm or a warm cloth against the ear. In addition there are ear pain drops available over the counter. If all fails or if your child seems to have any fever/worsening, then see your doctor.

In brief: Motrin and warmth
Dr. Rodrigo Argenal
Dr. Rodrigo Argenal
Dr. Helena Bentley
Most ear infections are viral, and therefore limiting. Pain control gets you through the night. See your doctor in the morning. Tylenol, Motrin, local warmth, Eardrops for pain, and sleeping with head elevated can bring some comfort.
In brief: Heat
Often kids have some releaf if they put their hurt ear down on a heating pad or compress at a low heat level.
The diffuse heat messages going to the brain seem to deminish the ear pain some.If over 6mo i prefer ibuprophen for the discomfort.

In brief: Heat
Dr. Steven Seres