Why do kids with autism like to count things?

Dr. Sumeet Kumar
Neurology

In brief: Autism

Part of autism as a disorder includes a preoccupation with repetitive activities, such as repeating the same words, phrases, and actions, e.
g., counting. Any deviation from this routine can be very bothersome to the person.

In brief: Autism

Dr. Sumeet Kumar
Dr. Sumeet Kumar
Dr. Holly Maes

In brief: Different pleasures

I like cookie dough ice cream, my husband strawberry - who knows why! kids with autism like routine, almost ocd-ish.
Things like lining up toys, counting, doing things over and over. It is those things that bring them pleasure - different parts of different brains like different things. There is no right or wrong when it comes to things that make us happy in life - different strokes for diff folks.

In brief: Different pleasures

Dr. Holly Maes
Dr. Holly Maes