Can a lumbar puncture paralyze me?

Dr. Atif Haque
Neurosurgery
In brief: Rarely
I have seen this happen twice in the span of my medical career, both instances in which the performing physician was not aware of the patients' use of blood thinners.
Hematomas formed and extended upward from the "safe" levels of lumbar puncture up to the spinal cord.

In brief: Rarely
Dr. Atif Haque
Dr. Atif Haque
Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: LP
Nope!.

In brief: LP
Nope!.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Possible but RARE
You would have to have a major complication which is exceedingly rare and possibly related to some other underlying disprder suvh as hemophilia.

In brief: Possible but RARE
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
In brief: Rare
All procedures carry a risk.
For that matter, driving your car is one of the riskiest things you do on a daily basis. Procedures, such as lumbar puncture, could cause bleeding or abscess formation, and could lead to paralysis. Usually there is a good reason to do it though.

In brief: Rare
All procedures carry a risk.
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Barry Cohen
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: That
Would be like getting struck by lightening.
Also lp's are done below where nerves which could paralyze you run.

In brief: That
Dr. Barry Cohen
Dr. Barry Cohen
In brief: Interesting
This is a rumor started in eastern big city ghetto environments by parents to keep their kids behaving.
If you are bad, "the doctors in white coats will stick a needle in your back and paralyze you". So far, haven't seen this outcome.

In brief: Interesting
Dr. Harold Rosenfeld
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: No
The routine lumbar puncture is done below the level of the spinal cord.

In brief: No
Dr. Harold Rosenfeld
Dr. Harold Rosenfeld