How long should I wait after having gall bladder surgery to lay on my stomach?

Brian Fishman
Emergency Medicine
In brief: Until Pain Subsides
After gallbladder surgery, you may feel bloated and your incisions will be sore to touch.
Anything that increases pressure in your abdomen (changing position from sitting to standing, lifting, etc.) will cause discomfort. You can lie on your stomach if it doesn't cause pain, but be careful not to get up or turn suddenly. Follow your surgeon's instructions about activity and pain meds.

In brief: Until Pain Subsides
Brian Fishman
Brian Fishman
Answer assisted by Brian Fishman, Medical Student
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: No restrictions.
The only thing preventing someone from laying on their stomach following laparoscopic surgery is the pain associated with that position.
Whenever you feel well enough, you may do so.

In brief: No restrictions.
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery