What can I do if my mother had colon cancer. What are the chances it will be passed on to me or my sibling?

Dr. Frederick Shieh
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: Possible
Having a close family with colon cancer increases your chance of developing cancer yourself.
Depending on the age that your mother was diagnosed, you may need to be screened for colon cancer earlier than usual.

In brief: Possible
Dr. Frederick Shieh
Dr. Frederick Shieh
Dr. Ahsan Bhatti
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: Twice than average
With family history of first degree relative the risk is twice the average population.
Reconstruction are to have screening colonoscopy at10 year younger age than the age when she was diagnosed or at age 40.

In brief: Twice than average
Dr. Ahsan Bhatti
Dr. Ahsan Bhatti
Dr. Patricia Raymond
True-- the average american has a 6% lifetime risk of colon cancer. If you have a first degree relative with it (parent, brother/sister, or child) you face a 10% lifetime risk. You need a colonoscopy starting at the age recommended above and then every 5 years
Dr. Steven Ginsberg
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology
In brief: Unlikely
There are rare hereditary colon cancer syndromes.
The age at which your mother had colon cancer may also be a factor. If this is a concern, you should discuss this with your health care provider.

In brief: Unlikely
Dr. Steven Ginsberg
Dr. Steven Ginsberg
Dr. Arnon Rubin