2 doctors weighed in:

What would happen if you accidentally swallowed small pieces of a plastic fork?

2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Nothing

Plastic fork pieces are non-toxic and do not have significantly sharp outside edges even if broken.
Your intestines are used to reacting to sharp objects by retracting and so penetration is extremely unlikely. Swallowing pieces of plastic cutlery is probably very common and I have seen no reports about this in the medical literature. So don't worry about it.

In brief: Nothing

Plastic fork pieces are non-toxic and do not have significantly sharp outside edges even if broken.
Your intestines are used to reacting to sharp objects by retracting and so penetration is extremely unlikely. Swallowing pieces of plastic cutlery is probably very common and I have seen no reports about this in the medical literature. So don't worry about it.
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Thank
1 comment
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Arnon Rubin
Board Certified,
20 years in practice
163K people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors