Would my barium swallow upper g.I. Have detected esophageal cancer? I've had GERD on and off forever, and just recently quit smoking. Terrified.

Dr. Amy Deeken
Pathology

In brief: Maybe...

A barium swallow would detect a large tumor when it is the size to compress the esophagus.
Patients with longstanding reflux symptoms should discuss endoscopy with their doctors which can discover the pre-cancerous lesion of barrett's esophagus before it becomes a tumor and monitor to prevent cancer from developing.

In brief: Maybe...

Dr. Amy Deeken
Dr. Amy Deeken
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Barium

Studies are not commonly used any more, endoscopy is preferred because there is direct vision, a biopsy can be done as well as endoscopic ultrasound to measure depth.
If you are 26 and female, cancer is highly unlikely. It's a clear warning to quit smoking/.

In brief: Barium

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi

In brief: Generally

Some are superficial and require endoscopy to see and biopsy.
With the history of gerd endoscopy is frequently recommended. Others are external and need ct to identify. Stopping smoking is a really good idea!

In brief: Generally

Dr. Creighton Wright
Dr. Creighton Wright
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology