Does a nerve conduction study and an emg hurt?

Dr. Steven Croft
Neurology

In brief: Maybe uncomfortable

Most patient's tell me it was not as painful as anticipated.
The ncs involves electrical stimulation of the nerves, the EMG involves inserting a very small needle into several mucles. I think most patients describe the test as uncomfortable not painful.

In brief: Maybe uncomfortable

Dr. Steven Croft
Dr. Steven Croft
Dr. William Newton
Pain Management

In brief: No

Patients experience this test differently.
In my practice i tell patients that at the worst it may be a little uncomfortable. Some docs use techs to perform the nerve conduction studies. The EMG should be performed by the physician. I hope you have a good doc doing the test. If you do then you should have little to no pain.

In brief: No

Dr. William Newton
Dr. William Newton