What is the probablity of a abscessed tooth infection going to my heart and killing me?

Dr. Michael Stern
Dentistry

In brief: Remotely possible

In 1900 a common cause of death was from dental infections.
Nowadays with antibiotics not so much. But ignored dental infections can cause rapid swelling cutting off your airway and therefore should not be ignored. Your heart could be affected depending on your general health status.

In brief: Remotely possible

Dr. Michael Stern
Dr. Michael Stern
Dr. Tarek Hamid
Dentistry

In brief: Theoretically yes

If left ignored abscessed tooth, can eventually cause a condition called septicemia , which is circulation of the infectious bacteria in your blood stream targeting weak or sick organs like for example a heart pacemaker or a heart that had a previous surgery.

In brief: Theoretically yes

Dr. Tarek Hamid
Dr. Tarek Hamid
Dr. Jennifer Lee
Ophthalmology

In brief: Low

Infections of the heart are rare, but any infection can spread.
It is best to take of it early.

In brief: Low

It is best to take of it early.
Dr. Jennifer Lee
Dr. Jennifer Lee
Dr. Ronald Achong
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Very low

With today's technology and medical expertise this is very unlikely.

In brief: Very low

Dr. Ronald Achong
Dr. Ronald Achong

In brief: Death by tooth?

Yes! The most likely path for a deadly tooth infection is through the brain, not the heart although both are possible.
While I can't give the % probability, here's a case that was just in the literature this week: http://www.drbicuspid.com/index.aspx?sec=nws&sub=rad&pag=dis&ItemID=315703&wf=1862#.U3ExOacRDRE.facebook

In brief: Death by tooth?

Dr. Edward Zuckerberg
Dr. Edward Zuckerberg
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology