Is it safe for a person with seafood allergies to swim in the ocean or go to the beach?

Dr. Kenneth Backman
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
Most people with seafood allergies are truly allergic to proteins in seafood.
However, exposure to these proteins in ocean water and at the beach is so minimal, that the vast majority of seafood allergic patients have no reaction to them. Contrary to a popular misconception, seafood allergy is not due to iodine, and does not cause an increased risk of reaction to dyes used for x-rays and ct scans.

Dr. Kenneth Backman
Dr. Kenneth Backman
Dr. Andrew Murphy
Shellfish allergy is related to the ingestion of the food in question.
I am not aware of any guidelines that suggest the shellfish allergic patients should refrain from going to the beach or going for a swim in the ocean.

Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Jennifer Lee
Ophthalmology
In brief: Iodine
Most people with a seafood allergy are allergic to iodine.
You do not need to worry about swimming or going to the beach but make sure you tell your health care provider. You may be allergic to imaging dyes or contrasts.

In brief: Iodine
Dr. Jennifer Lee
Dr. Jennifer Lee
Dr. Andrew Murphy
I would respectfully disagree with the statement that shellfish allergy is related to iodine. The allergen in shellfish allergy is the muscle protein tropomyosin. Iodine has nothing to due with shellfish allergy. Rxn to iodine contrast materials is probably related to the ionic strength of the material used.
Dr. Steven Seres