How safe is it to wear underwear straight out of the package before washing them first?

Dr. Pamela Moore

In brief: I'd wash it first

While it's not terribly dangerous to wear underwear directly out of a package, some people may develop rashes/reactions to the new material due to chemicals used in the processing.
It is always a good idea to wash them first but if you don't have the opportunity to do so in a pinch, it probably won't hurt you.

In brief: I'd wash it first

Dr. Pamela Moore
Dr. Pamela Moore
Dr. Kenneth Backman
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Not great

While it probably won't kill you, it's always a better idea to wash brand new clothing prior to wearing it.
Many chemicals are used in the manufacture and packaging of clothing that can cause irritant and allergic reactions, typically rashes. I recommend washing all items of clothing prior to first wearing them.

In brief: Not great

Dr. Kenneth Backman
Dr. Kenneth Backman
Dr. Andrea Brand