How can I feed my tongue-tied baby?

In brief: Clip the tongue tie

Some babies are born with an extra piece of tissue anchoring the tongue to the floor of the mouth.
Occasionally this restricts tongue movement enough to interfer with nursing. Your pediatrician (or sometimes an ear, nose, throat specialist) can simply cut the excess tissue and fix the problem in a few seconds. Until then feed your baby expressed breastmilk with a syringe or bottle.

In brief: Clip the tongue tie

Dr. Kathleen Forcier
Dr. Kathleen Forcier
Dr. Marcus Degraw

In brief: Maybe, maybe not

Depends on the severity of the toungue tie.
Many babies feed just fine, but one criteria of fixing the toungue tie is troubles feeding. Babies with mild ties may feed well and have it fixed later. Babies with tighter ties may need it fixed immediately. In general if feeding is fine and speech development is normal, clipping the tie may not be needed. Its easy though so most are fixed by ent.

In brief: Maybe, maybe not

Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Kristen Stuppy

In brief: Clip it!

If the tongue cannot extend past the lips, makes a heart shape when extended, cannot reach the top of the mouth, & interferes with feeding, it is worth the simple procedure of clipping the attachment that keeps it from fully extending.
Tongue clipping is a minor procedure that many pediatricians and ent's do. I try to get the baby to latch after clip and usually mom notes better latch immediately!

In brief: Clip it!

Dr. Kristen Stuppy
Dr. Kristen Stuppy