I am 63. I have knee pain. My doctor says that it is osteoarthritis. I have heard that glucosamine? May help. What is it? Should I try it?

Dr. Julia Pewitt Kinder
In brief: Good to try
Glucosamine and chondroiton are 2 over the counter supplements that are frequently packaged together and can provide relief from arthritis.
Ask your pharmacist or health food store for a good preparation. You will need to take every day for best results.

In brief: Good to try
Dr. Julia Pewitt Kinder
Dr. Julia Pewitt Kinder
Dr. Joel Bessmer
In brief: Maybe
Good study performed said that there is a small percentage of patients when treated with glucosamine and chondroitin in combination can have marked imrovement in their symptoms as well as documented x-ray improvement.
I have my patients start on 2 glucosamine/chondroitin per day and if they note improvemnt in their symptoms after 4-6 months they should continue. If not stop.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Joel Bessmer
Dr. Joel Bessmer
Dr. Arnon Rubin