A chiropractor told me that I have a calcified thyroid b/c of a pinched nerve. Could that happen and should I have my thyroid treated, what does it do?

Dr. Mark Fisher
Neurology

In brief: Of COURSE he did!

He'd have said that no matter what you had: Ulcers, ovarian cysts, insomnia, anything.
That's the quackery of chiropractic: Every problem is a pinched nerve: Not just a calcified thyroid, not just back pain, but everything: Depression, impotence, infertility, baldness, acne, constipation, deafness, flat feet, you name it. Thyroid calcifications should be worked up - by a REAL doctor.

In brief: Of COURSE he did!

Dr. Mark Fisher
Dr. Mark Fisher
If this turns out to be thyroid cancer, which it well may, be sure to report this individual to the licensing board.
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: No

Pinch nerves do not cause calcified thyroid nodule.
The only way to know is to get a thyroid ultrasound. If indeed you have a calcified nodule, you should get it evaluated.

In brief: No

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: If that is what the

Chiropractor said it is not true.
If there is any concern you should have your thyroid evaluated as it plays many important roles in keeping your body functioning well.

In brief: If that is what the

Chiropractor said it is not true.
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Jeffrey Albright
Integrative Medicine

In brief: Miscommunication?

A 'pinched nerve' is what many call a degenerative disc disease.
The body lays down poor quality bone to stabilize. Calcification can occur around the joint, disc and spine front and back, and can come near the thyroid. It is unlikely that the thyroid itself calcified due to the disc problem, but was noted on x-ray or MRI. Have history of autoimmune history reviewed, and have the thyroid evaluated

In brief: Miscommunication?

Dr. Jeffrey Albright
Dr. Jeffrey Albright