What could cause pain in anus?

Several causes. Anal pain can be a lot of problems. Anal fissures, abscess, inflammatory bowel disease, henorrhoids, constipation are a few of the causes. Other types of infections are possible. A good history and exam is needed to really diagnose this problem.
Anal pain. The most common cause of pain in the anus is a simple hemorrhoid, often with a tender bluish nodule palpable. Other causes are an anal fissure (tear in the side of the anus due to constipation), inflamation of the anus (proctitis), which can be a feature of inflammatory bowel disease or of some infections (notably stds like gonorrhea or herpes). Sometimes a prostate infection will cause anal pain.