If you have lymphoma or a cancerous tumor doesn't it have to grow? If I have swollen lymph nodes that never grow are they ok no matter where?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: Usually.

Any lymph node larger than 2cm warrants further evaluation.
However, the longer the nodes have been prominent but unchanged, the lower the probability of cancer. Other factors of importance include your age, smoking history, symptoms, family history, etc. The node's location are of secondary importance. I advise you seek out a formal consultation from your doctor. A biopsy may be indicated.

In brief: Usually.

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Michael Thompson
I agree. A few notes: Some cancers can grow slowly. Some infectious/inflammatory states can result in lymph nodes that never full return to normal size. Stability over time is good.
Justin Fuehrer
Emergency Medicine

In brief: See your doctor

You have asked this question in a couple different ways.
I would highly suggest you see your doctor to get this figured out. Lymph nodes may or may not increase in size depending on what is going on. It is dangerous to assume that just because a lymph node is not increasing in size, it is benign. Please see your doctor.

In brief: See your doctor

Justin Fuehrer
Justin Fuehrer
Answer assisted by Justin Fuehrer, Medical Student
Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Lymphadenopathy

The rate of progress of lymph node enlargement may not necessarily predict the etiology.
Assessing whether they are fixed to underlying tissue, stony hard in consistency, tender or not, fluctuant, and other criteria simply provides indices of suspicion. If there is a significant question the answer is biopsy.

In brief: Lymphadenopathy

Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Steven Seres