Are there other tests to determine sickle cell anemia risk if my husband is away serving in the military?

Yes. The first step is testing you for sickle cell carrier status. If not a carrier then no further testing needs to be done. If you are a carrier then the next step is check the father of the baby. If he is unavailable you could have his parents tested. If neither are a carrier then the father can not be a carrier either. If they are carriers then the fathers chances are 50% he is also.
Only blood tests. People with sickle cell anemia usually are identified very early in childhood, due to symptoms. Sickle cell carriers, have no symptoms and can only be identified by blood test. Inheriting sickle cell disease requires getting a sickle gene from both parents. If you are a carrier and your husband is too, there is a 1 in 4 chance of a child inheriting the disease.