3cm hypoechoic solid vascular thyroid nodule with a cluster of hurthle cells, fna benign, follow up ultrasound now shows microcalcifications. Cancer?

Dr. Nagesh Ragavendra
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: Not necessarily...

The fact that FNA was reported as benign, the nodule is unlikely to be malignant.
Small droplets of benign colloid often mimic "microcalcificatins" of papillary tumor, hence caution is advised. I would suggest repeating the FNA, and consider also collecting samples for gene profiling studies, such as, those manufactured by Veracyte and Asuragen (Note:I have no financial/other interest.)

In brief: Not necessarily...

Dr. Nagesh Ragavendra
Dr. Nagesh Ragavendra
Dr. David Sneid
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Afirma

You need a repeat biopsy with an afirma assay to screen more critically for possible malignancy.
Surgery may be necessary if worrisome changes on ultrasound continue.

In brief: Afirma

Dr. David Sneid
Dr. David Sneid
Dr. William Forsythe