If I have an ear ache, can I put warm water in my ear?

Dr. Joel Doyon
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: No

Don't add water to your ear, but you can place a warm washcloth or heating pad over your ear to help relieve discomfort.

In brief: No

Dr. Joel Doyon
Dr. Joel Doyon
Dr. Peter Corrado

In brief: Not advisible

If the pain is due to external otitis ( a problem in the ear canal) it would probably make the problem worse.
If the problem lies elsewhere, such the middle or inner ear or even the throat, i doubt it will help any more than careful application of heat. On the other hand it could cause more problems, especially in the case of a perforated ear drum. Use tylenol (acetaminophen) or advil and see your doctor first.

In brief: Not advisible

Dr. Peter Corrado
Dr. Peter Corrado
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
wetness in the ear canal can irritate and eventually break down the skin lining the canal, thus leading to an external otitis