I was told I have glaucoma and am wondering if I need to use eye drops?

Dr. JUDY WASHINGTON

In brief: Maybe

You need to see an ophthalmologist and have an eye examination.
This includes checking your eye pressures and visual fields.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. JUDY WASHINGTON
Dr. JUDY WASHINGTON
2 comments
Dr. Michael Sayegh
Glaucoma is an optic neuropathy that may be associated with high pressure. It is critical that if it is suspected that you see an ophthalmologist to make a proper diagnosis. Remember not everyone with high pressure has glaucoma and not everyone with normal pressure is free of the disease.
Dr. JUDY WASHINGTON
Agree. I have low pressure glaucoma. The visual field is important
Dr. Ilan Cohen
Ophthalmology

In brief: Most likely

The diagnosis of glaucoma means that there is proven damage to the optic nerve in the back of the eye.
Our only method for slowing this damage is to reduce the eye pressure. The most common way of doing this is by using eye drops although some laser treatments are also available. You should discuss your options with your eye doctor.

In brief: Most likely

Dr. Ilan Cohen
Dr. Ilan Cohen
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Probably

Glaucoma, as a diagnosis, implies an internal eye pressure too high for the eye to withstand and therefore is at risk for loss of vision.
Eye drops are the most common way to lower pressure and are highly effective. Presumably whoever gave you that diagnosis, is on top of this and can give you the right treatment. For any questions and a second opinion, see an ophthalmologist.

In brief: Probably

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Daniel Pierre
Ophthalmology - Pediatric

In brief: See an eye doctor.

This is a diagnosis that involves many types of examinations and interpretations, and weighing individual risk factors.
Only a one-to-one discussion with an eye doctor can answer this question.

In brief: See an eye doctor.

Dr. Daniel Pierre
Dr. Daniel Pierre
Dr. Adam Smith