I have an arachnoid cyst and a chiari 1 malformation. I know it depends on the person but how likely is it that I will need surgery?

Dr. Larry Armstrong
Neurosurgery

In brief: Only eval will tell

The only way to know if you'll need surgery is your exam by a neurosurgeon who does chiari decompressions.
He will thoroughly evaluate your clinical symptoms, physical symptoms, MRI findings and base his opinion on those findings. Most arachnoid cysts do not require surgery as they are present from the beginning of your brain development. See a neurosurgeon and good luck!

In brief: Only eval will tell

Dr. Larry Armstrong
Dr. Larry Armstrong
Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Will try to get info

I will try to get more information on this for you from our neurosurgeons on healthtap.
Please be patient. Many are literally still in the or> thanks for your question.

In brief: Will try to get info

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology

In brief: See below

Again the answer will vary depending on the patient, but here goes.
If the arachnoid cyst is not growing or causing any pressure problems, it can probably just be watched. If the chiari malformation is not causing problems it too can just be watched. If the headaches, or other symptoms, get worse then consult your neurosurgeon. Good luck.

In brief: See below

Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery