I have an arachnoid cyst and a chiari 1 malformation. I know it depends on the person but how likely is it that I will need surgery?

Dr. Larry Armstrong
Neurosurgery
In brief: Only eval will tell
The only way to know if you'll need surgery is your exam by a neurosurgeon who does chiari decompressions.
He will thoroughly evaluate your clinical symptoms, physical symptoms, MRI findings and base his opinion on those findings. Most arachnoid cysts do not require surgery as they are present from the beginning of your brain development. See a neurosurgeon and good luck!

In brief: Only eval will tell
Dr. Larry Armstrong
Dr. Larry Armstrong
Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Will try to get info
I will try to get more information on this for you from our neurosurgeons on healthtap.
Please be patient. Many are literally still in the or> thanks for your question.

In brief: Will try to get info
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology
In brief: See below
Again the answer will vary depending on the patient, but here goes.
If the arachnoid cyst is not growing or causing any pressure problems, it can probably just be watched. If the chiari malformation is not causing problems it too can just be watched. If the headaches, or other symptoms, get worse then consult your neurosurgeon. Good luck.

In brief: See below
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Eric Weisman