The nurse told me my test for celiac came back as a partial positve. Does that mean I have it or not?

Dr. Kristen Stuppy
In brief: Possible
The blood tests are screening tests.
They can support or not suggest the diagnosis, but sometimes the results are not specific. A biopsy of the gut is the "gold standard" to make a firm diagnosis. Talk to your doctor about the next step in diagnosis.

In brief: Possible
The blood tests are screening tests.
Dr. Kristen Stuppy
Dr. Kristen Stuppy
Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Will try to get info
I will try to get more information on this for you from our gastroenterologists on healthtap.
Please be patient. Many are still in the office> thanks for your question.

In brief: Will try to get info
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Luis Matos
There are several antibodies that are high in the blood of patients with Celiac disease. if one of these alone was elevated, it may not be enough to diagnose you with Celiac. Without more details, it is hard to say much more. Check out this site that explains this in detail. http://www.celiac.com/articles/57/1/Interpretation-of-Celiac-Disease-Blood-Test-Results/Page1.html
In brief: Which test?
Celiac evaluations come in lesser or greater degrees and the reliability of the test is variable.
A simple blood test for antigliaden antibodies may be positive in lots of people who do not have the disease( it is a screening test).I believe the gold standard is an intestinal biopsy during a full evaluation that finds definite signs of the disease. Clarify the above with your dr.

In brief: Which test?
Dr. Michael Mirochna
In brief: Celiac Disease
Hearing that from the nurse isn't particularly helpful and why you came here.
I would ask for the full test results. There are multiple antibody tests for it, but there are also lab abnormalities, such as an anemia that can result from poor absorption of nutrients. As hard as it might be, the best way to figure out if you have celiac is to trial a gluten free diet.

In brief: Celiac Disease
Dr. Michael Mirochna
Dr. Michael Mirochna
Dr. Soroosh Armandi
Anti-Aging Medicine
In brief: Maybe
A lot of auto-immune diseases maybe misdiagnosed with these antibody testings that are not definitive and do not fit the picturei if the test was randomly performed, i wouldn't automatically diagnose you with celiac disease.
A colonoscopy is indicated to confirm diagnosis when the diagnosis is obscure.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Soroosh Armandi
Dr. Soroosh Armandi
Dr. Andrea Brand