My dad's mom had breast cancer and now my mom had breast cancer. Even though I am not yet 40 should I have a mammogram?

Dr. Regina Hampton
Breast Surgery

In brief: High risk evaluation

I recommend you seek out a high risk breast program or specialist to do an extensive family history to determine when and what type of screening is indicated.

In brief: High risk evaluation

Dr. Regina Hampton
Dr. Regina Hampton

In brief: Maybe

You should ask your doctor to refer you to a genetic counselor to evaluate your long term risk for breast cancer.
Depending on your risk, there may be a role for genetic testing for genetic predisposition for breast cancer in your or your mother. In some cases, it makes sense to do annual breast mris, as they are more sensitive than mammography in younger women.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Nicholas Fogelson
Dr. Nicholas Fogelson
Dr. Kevin Daus
Go to this link and take the breast cancer risk tool... http://www.cancer.gov/bcrisktool/Default.aspx
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: Need more info.

I'm sure that it feels that you have a "double dose" of risk, but, if these are your only family members with breast (or ovarian) ca, you are not high-risk for hereditary breast ca (we tend to see this type in families with multiple members with ca, especially prior to menopause or when in both breasts) & can wait till 40.
That said, a mammogram is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

In brief: Need more info.

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Michael Gabor
Diagnostic Radiology

In brief: You should have

a comprehensive risk assessment, then you and your doctor can assess whether it would be appropriate to begin early screening.

In brief: You should have

Dr. Michael Gabor
Dr. Michael Gabor
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Bariatrics

In brief: More to my answer

Dear patient, mammogranms are very important.
But, mammograms are not created equal. The type of mammo machine, the technician who does the mammogram, the radiologist who reads the mammogram, the physician who reads the report, the report being discussed with you in detail, and appropriate recommendations following the report based on your exam and history. All affect the reliabilty of the mammo.

In brief: More to my answer

Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi
Great answer. I recommend monthly breast exams and seeing your family doctor or OB/GYN to also perform a physical exam. Wishing you'all the best.
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Bariatrics

In brief: YES

I really don't have enough famiy history, but baseline mammograms can be done between 35-40 years anyway-without extra family history.
Please also note if you ever feel unusual senastions-unequally in your breast-not pain really but tingling in onebreast that persists for month - any nipple dischatge esp only in one breast. Go to a physician/ medical center known for tx/prev. Of breast disorders.

In brief: YES

Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Gregory Hines

Generally, patients who have a first degree relative should start annual mammograms starting at an age 10 years younger than your mother was when she was diagnosed.
I would recommend you start.

I would recommend you start.
Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Jane Van Dis