My son has g6pd. Can i give poly-vi-sol and tiki tiki to him? And what other vitamins can I give him? Thanks.

Dr. Craig MacArthur
Pediatrics - Hematology & Oncology

There is some internet stories about g6pd patients needing to avoid vitamins c and k.
My review of the literature is that extraordinary doses of vitamin c (over 6 grams) could be associated with hemolysis in g6pd patients. No hemolysis has been reported in g6pd with vitamin k at doses seen in multivitamins. The multivitamin supplements you list have vitamin c and k doses that are safe for g6pd.

Dr. Craig MacArthur
Dr. Craig MacArthur
Pathology

Even severe g6pd deficiency is not a reason not to administer common vitamins.
The severity of the illness will be your guide for how restrictive to make junior's diet. Best wishes.

Dr. Jonathan Jassey