I am taking 20mg of methotrexate teva a week to manage RA symptoms. I have protein in my urinalysis. What does this mean and how should it be treated?

Theresa Yang
General Practice
In brief: Need more info
Protein in the urine is nonspecific.
It could be due to the RA itself or the methotrexate. More information is needed on how much protein is in the urine and how much there was at baseline. Your doctor can monitor your kidney function on Methotrexate and recommend treatment should it be necessary.

In brief: Need more info
Protein in the urine is nonspecific.
Theresa Yang
Theresa Yang
Answer assisted by Theresa Yang, Medical Student
2 comments
Theresa Yang
Glad we could help. Good luck.
Theresa Yang
Sounds great. Hang in there.
Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Probably not related
Mtx's kidney effects rarely include proteinuria.
The causes for proteinuria are many. Also, how much protein is important to know. I hope you are getting your mtx by subcutaneous injection. It is 100% absorbed and has fewer issues.

In brief: Probably not related
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Great! I knew it was not related.
Dr. Jane Van Dis