My left knee hurts when I walk or sit for long periods of time. What is it?

Dr. Colin Kerr

In brief: Knee pain on sitting

The causes of persistent knee pain vary with age.
The most common cause of knee pain worse with sitting is arthritis usually due to trauma or a fall. Most commonly for middle-aged and older adults, it represents degenerative arthritis. An anti-inflammatory medicine like Ibuprofen will relieve the ache. Other causes include torn meniscus, ligament sprain, and bruising of the patella (knee cap).

In brief: Knee pain on sitting

Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Amir Khan
Sports Medicine

In brief: See an orthopedist

Pain can also be referred from back or hip.
Common inside knee pain could be due arthritis, medial meniscus tear, strain of the ligament (mcl), inflammation of hamstring tendons, bursitis, plica, or knee cap region wear/tendonitis. Pain outside may be due to arthritis, lateral meniscus tear, strain of ligament (lcl), itband syndrome, popliteus tendinitis, knee cap region wear or tendonitis.

In brief: See an orthopedist

Dr. Amir Khan
Dr. Amir Khan
Dr. Ty Endean
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Consult

It could be a myriad of problems from arthritis, meniscal tear, cartilage lesion or a inflammatory disease.
I would recommend a consultation with your local orthopedic surgeon to help define the source of your pain so you can have a plan for corrective treatment.

In brief: Consult

Dr. Ty Endean
Dr. Ty Endean
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham