Do I have to eat solid foods if I am on an iv.

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Not necessarily

What a patient eats should depend on the reason for the iv, what the patient finds palatable, what the physician thinks is best, whether or not there is a nutritional deficit or a need for a certain type of food (eg, to see if the IV can be removed if solid food is tolerated).
There are many approaches to feeding, and women should request an open discussion with the people writing the food orders.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Dan Fisher

In brief: Yes.

Iv fluid does not replace nutrition although it may provide some calories if it has glucose.
So the answer is yes you must continue to provide nutrients (protein, fat, minerals and vitamins) by eating.

In brief: Yes.

Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Adam Smith