I have pain in my left outer thigh about palm size for a few weeks. At times at night it becomes severe. It is warm to the touch. Ideas?

Dr. Kenneth Tepper
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Nerve Pain

You may have a condition called meralgia paresthetica which can cause the symptoms described.
It is caused by compression of a nerve and may be alleviated with loose clothing, weight loss, nsaids, and very rarely, surgery. You however should see a specialist to have an accurate diagnosis.

In brief: Nerve Pain

Dr. Kenneth Tepper
Dr. Kenneth Tepper
Dr. James Eitner

In brief: Infection?

It should be evaluated.
It is possible that it is cellulitis (an infection of the skin), particularly since it gets warm to the touch. If the area is red, it is even more likely to be an infection and need medication. If there had been a recent injury to the area, it could be a deep muscle bruise, hematoma, etc. Have your doctor take a look at it.

In brief: Infection?

It should be evaluated.
Dr. James Eitner
Dr. James Eitner
Dr. Ted King
Phlebology

In brief: Another possibility

I agree with drs.
Tepper and eitner. Another possibility is that it could be bursitis over your hip bone. If the pain is more over your hip than your upper thigh, you could have bursitis. It commonly hurst more at night if you lie on that side and, because it is inflamed, the area can feel warm to the touch. In any case, you want to get it checked out.

In brief: Another possibility

I agree with drs.
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham