Possibly having ankle surgery, haglunds w calcification in achilles. Should I get 2nd opinion? Suggestions for ways to evaluate possble complications?

Dr. Alberto Sobrado

As with any surgery is always a good sound advise to get at least 2.

Dr. Alberto Sobrado
Dr. Alberto Sobrado

In brief: Surgery

Second opine is always helpful complications may include infection, continued pain, scarring, etc.
.. Ask your surgeon to review the risks and complications, benefits and alternatives to surgical intervention. The timing for this surgery hinges on your ability to commit to a complication free recovery period. Dr. H.

In brief: Surgery

Dr. Christopher Hendrix
Dr. Christopher Hendrix

In brief: Achilles anchor

A true haglund's deformity can usually be removed without interfering with the achilles tendon because it is at the superior lateral part of the heel bone.
A calcification in the achilles tendon usually occurs at the central part of the back of the heel bone just above the achilles tendon insertion. If the calcification is large and there is also a spur deep to it, the tendon will need an anchor.

In brief: Achilles anchor

Dr. Angelo Mitsos
Dr. Angelo Mitsos
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Podiatry

In brief: Maybe?

You should have confidence in the physician who is planning to perform surgery on you.
Ask questions in terms of what to expect and what risks you might be undergoing (all surgery comes with risks). If you aren't sure about anything you need to verbalize these concerns preoperatively and if you feel you haven't gotten good enough answers, perhaps you might get a 2nd opinion to allay any fears.

In brief: Maybe?

Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Ellen Wenzel

In brief: Haglund's surgery

As stated , you should have confidence in your surgeon.
Ask as many questions as you need to feel comfortable. I always have my patients back for a q; a session after i explain a surgical procedure. Good luck.

In brief: Haglund's surgery

Dr. Thomas Inwood
Dr. Thomas Inwood
Dr. David Edsall
Anesthesiology

In brief: YES

Ask about blocks, frequency of failed blocks.
Use the best answer. Don't use general. You may need continuous blocks for seveal days . This is the best pain control and the least sedation. Blocks should be done with ultrasound except ankle block which is used for foot surgery not ankle surgery. Many anesthesia people do not do blocks. Go elsewhere. Nausea is less, back to work and recovery faster.

In brief: YES

Dr. David Edsall
Dr. David Edsall
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine