What does waking in the night with a pain going up my back and into my neck/throat mean? It goes after walking around for about 20 minutes.

Dr. Douglas Arenberg
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Maybe reflux

"heartburn" can be experienced very differently in different people.
The first concern for any pain like you describe is the heart. See your doctor. If its not heart trouble i'd try an antacid (e.g. Tums (calcium carbonate) or something similar) the next time it happens, and if it provides fast relief, you have your answer. I had a similar problem and have found it was my esophagus causing chest tightness.

In brief: Maybe reflux

Dr. Douglas Arenberg
Dr. Douglas Arenberg
Dr. Yu Sun
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Angina maybe

When the heart is working harder such as long time walking, angina accurs and some patients do not belong to the typical angnia, chest tightness performance, toothache, and abdominal discomfort, neck/throat pain also a common symptom.

In brief: Angina maybe

Dr. Yu Sun
Dr. Yu Sun
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology