If a recovering addict with 4 years clean has surgery & has to take pain pills, how does she do it without getting re-addicted? I can't take the pain!

David Miller

In brief: Avoid narcotics

This requires a frank conversation with your sponsor and your doc.
There are some great non-narcotic pain relievers that you can use. Unfortunately, your history of opioid abuse has likely decreased your pain tolerance. You might have to endure a little more post-op pain than someone who can take opioids. In the end, you need to maintain your sobriety. Call your sponsor and then call your doc.

In brief: Avoid narcotics

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Soroosh Armandi
Anti-Aging Medicine

In brief: Toradol

If you can deal with the pain with toradol shots thats your best bet.
See if your physician is willing to give you toradol that you can self administer intramuscularly. Stay away from the opiates, your chances of relapse are high! you've come this far, not worth risking relapsing.

In brief: Toradol

Dr. Soroosh Armandi
Dr. Soroosh Armandi
Dr. Ryan Stanton
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Self control

It takes an incredible amount of self control.
Once addicted, you are always addicted, so it is key to limit to what is absolutely necessary and stop as soon as possible. I would recommend having a responsible party be the keeper and only give it as prescribed. I would also advise disposing of any left over as soon as possible.

In brief: Self control

Dr. Ryan Stanton
Dr. Ryan Stanton
Dr. Jeoffry Gordon

In brief: Share responsibility

Be up front and honest with your doc.
Tell him/her about your past. Ask him to prescribe adequate pain meds in frequent small amounts so your use is well supervised and in control. Stop the meds as soon as possible.

In brief: Share responsibility

Be up front and honest with your doc.
Dr. Jeoffry Gordon
Dr. Jeoffry Gordon
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery