If I strained/sprained my Achilles tendons 10 years ago and they still get achey sometimes, is there anything I can do about that? Cause for concern?

Dr. Scott Slattery
Sports Medicine
In brief: Eccentric strength
You likely have some degeneration of your achilles which led to the "sprain" in the first place and now causes achy pain.
Your sports med provider can prescribe a series of specific eccentric resistance exercises that have been shown in many studies to be the best non-surgical treatment for achilles tendinopathy. You are at slight higher risk for a complete tear, but i wouldn't be too concerned.

In brief: Eccentric strength
Dr. Scott Slattery
Dr. Scott Slattery
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry
In brief: The concern is
We prefer yo not to have achy anything.
Physical therapy is something i would recommend to try and strengthen your achilles tendons. I would also look at biomechanical issues related to you such as flatfeet, or an equinus deformity. (this is when range of motion at the ankle is lessened.) a podiatrist would be able to help you with that and also give you the referral to the therapist.

In brief: The concern is
We prefer yo not to have achy anything.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Edward Junn
Emergency Medicine
Have you consulted your provider. You could have developed arthritc changes and sometimes you could have developed calcium deposits or they have not healed well.
Please consult your provider.

Please consult your provider.
Dr. Edward Junn
Dr. Edward Junn
Dr. Edward Junn
with internal med PCP first
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine