My husband's been married before & has had a vesectomy. We're looking at the best options for a baby. He's older & we thought IVF twins? Suggestions?

Dr. Michael Traub
Fertility Medicine

In brief: IVF

By far ivf is the best option.
Surgically reversing the vasectomy may not work and so surgically removing sperm to use with ivf is by far your best option. As far a twins, a single pregnancy is also preferable to multiple pregnancy for many reasons. Ivf can but does not need to increase the risk of twins.

In brief: IVF

By far ivf is the best option.
Dr. Michael Traub
Dr. Michael Traub
Dr. Michio Abe

In brief: Vasectomy reversal

Your husband should first consider a vasectomy reversal, which in many cases can be done.
If the reversal is successful, it's much cheaper than ivf which can involve multiple cycles and procedures on both partners with increased risk of multiple births. So it's best to discuss the option of reversal with a urologist first, and then go see a fertility specialist to discuss other options.

In brief: Vasectomy reversal

Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Frank Yelian

In brief: It is a good option

Ivf is a good option for couples who desire for twin pregnancy, as you know you have option of vesectomy reversal or ivf.
I see many couples who did reversal, still ends at ivf, because after reversal the sperm is not good enough for natural conception. I think minimal stimulation ivf will be excellent option for you. But I have to understand the risk of twin pregnancy.

In brief: It is a good option

Dr. Frank Yelian
Dr. Frank Yelian
Dr. Khurram Rehman
Minimal stimulation IVF is controversial. From the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology "Although it is generally agreed upon that minimal stimulation protocols have a lower overall success rate than full stimulation protocols, there may be certain patient populations who may benefit" http://bit.ly/FUaenO - find out success rates for your age group and compare with full stimulation centers
Dr. Kathleen Hong
Fertility Medicine

In brief: One is best

Since he has had a vasectomy, a procedure will have to be performed to retrieve sperm no matter how you try to get pregnant (through insemination or ivf).
One thing to remember- although many women can safely deliver twins, they can cause complications as well and the safest pregnancies are always having just one at a time.

In brief: One is best

Dr. Kathleen Hong
Dr. Kathleen Hong
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Vas Reversal or IVF?

I have a slightly different approach to dr abe.
Success is based on female age. If you are 35+ then ivf may well be cheaper. Ivf may be necessary in many men after reversal as sperm quality can be poor. We have refund guarantee with ivf - not surgery. However, surgery has a place and i think you need to see both a urologist and rei docs to make an informed decision.

In brief: Vas Reversal or IVF?

Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Michael Opsahl
2 comments
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Look at the risks with twins. It sounds great but if the babies are born prematurely, then you and the babies can have life-long problems. Without question anywhere in the world, singletons safer. Also, if you try for twins you might even more! I understand your rationale but be informed. Check some links: http://bitly.com/A94z7E
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Our goal is to help create happy healthy families. We try for singletons knowing that sometimes we get multiples. But multiples have a dark side in some cases. You, the mom usually come out fine, but the babies and then indirectly, you and your husband can have significant issues. This is not to imply it is all bad, just know what you are choosing :)
Dr. John Jarrett
Fertility Medicine

In brief: IVF is a good option

vasectomy.
If it has been quite some time ivf with sperm aspiration is probably the best approach.

In brief: IVF is a good option

vasectomy.
Dr. John Jarrett
Dr. John Jarrett
Dr. Shontae Buffington