I just picked up my first ever prescription for ocps. The insert says that I should wait until I have begun menstruating to take them. Is that true?

Dr. Horacio Capote
Make sure you follow the instructions for best results.
In general, what you find in the package insert is what was proven to the fda upon submission of the medication for use by the public. It is what is scientifically proven & reproducible.

Dr. Horacio Capote
Dr. Horacio Capote
2 comments
Dr. Kristina McCaughtry
sometimes you will be instructed to start the pills reguardless of where you are in your cycle, this is ok but you should use a back up form of birth control as well during that first pack of pills
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
If you are starting the pill for cycle control due to irregular cycles - just go ahead and start - as noted above, after 2 weeks you will have contraception. It may take several cycles for the periods to become normal and regular after starting the pill.
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
In brief: Maybe not
If you start the pill when you start your period, you are less likely to have breakthrough bleeding and you have contraception from the beginning.
If you are having regular periods, that is easy. If your periods are irregular, go ahead and start the pills and use something else for birth control for the first two weeks. You may have irregular bleeding, stay with the pill - it will work out.

In brief: Maybe not
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham