I have had severe diarreha and nausea for 5 days, does the stomach flu usually last this long or should I go have myself seen by a doctor?

David Miller

In brief: See your doc

Severe diarrhea and nausea for 5 days is too long.
See your doc to find the cause and to see if you are getting dehydrated. Here is a good resource link for you. Good luck. http://www.uptodate.com/contents/patient-information-acute-diarrhea-in-adults.

In brief: See your doc

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Seek help

By rule of thumb, if you have one or more of the following, seek help: 1)profuse watery diarrhea with signs of dehydration, 2)many small stools containing blood and mucus, 3)bloody or black diarrhea, 4)fever > 101.
3, 5)illness last more than 48 hrs, 6) severe abdominal pain (source: uptodate).

In brief: Seek help

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Horacio Capote

In brief: Get Seen ASAP

In the very least you are at risk for dehydration.
This is severe enough to warrant immediate attention.

In brief: Get Seen ASAP

Dr. Horacio Capote
Dr. Horacio Capote
Dr. Steven Seres