My mom and dad both died recently from cancer that spread from small oat cancer..I don't smoke.. Do i need to be worried about myself now?

Dr. Ed Kaplan
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Not neccessarily

First- i'm very sorry for your losses.
It's hard enough to lose one parent, yet alone both so close together. I assume that they were smokers which is the major risk factor for deceloping oat cell (small cell) lung cancer. You may have had second hand smoke exposure, which might increase your risk a little, but you are not at a higher risk because of your parents diagnoses.

In brief: Not neccessarily

First- i'm very sorry for your losses.
Dr. Carlos Encarnacion
Yes, sounds like shared exposure. Just let your doc know about this. Sorry about that.
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Not particularly

My condolences. I am glad you don't smoke.
It is rare for someone who never smoked to get small cell lung cancer. However, it does happen rarely and you might have a genetic predisposition. Other risk factors include exposure to secondhand smoke and radon. But the odds of you getting lung cancer are quite small so avoid secondhand smoke and don't worry.

In brief: Not particularly

Dr. Steven Seres