What defines high blood pressure and is there a timetable for lowering it naturally vs. Taking medication?

>140/90 repeatedly . Defines high blood pressure for most people, although in some higher risk patients, lower might be a little better. Weight loss, low salt intake, regular physical activity, avoiding or moderating alcohol intake, and a dash diet all help, as can treating underlying conditions. If blood pressure is not that high, it is worth trying these things first, but if it's really high, medicine is required.
You've Got Time. The consensus definition of high blood pressure is pressure greater than 140/90. The consensus first step in treatment is to improve lifestyle factors--quit smoking, exercise, maintain healthy weight., monitor your cholesterol, and practice relaxation. With a healthy lifestyle, you can go for at least 5 years without needing medication if your BP is in the 141-180 over 91-110 range.
Over 120/80. BP over 120/80 is considered high blood pressure. I generally give patients 2-4 weeks to try to lower it naturally, with a low salt diet, regular exercise regimen, smoking cessation and weight loss, however, if they have failed to lower their pressure after the initial time frame, i start medications.