Which statin is best for raising HDL and lowering triglycerides? [currently on 20mg Lipitor (atorvastatin) daily, was on simvistatin with previous doctor.]

Dr. Bennett Werner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Complicatatd

The aim-high study failed to show improved outcome with Niacin and results with tricor have been with modest and disappointing.
If you have diabetes, good control will raise hdl. Exercise, eating fish, and fish oils raise hdl. O/w, the best outcomes have been assoc with crestor, lipitor, (atorvastatin) and Simvastatin regardless of HDL level.

In brief: Complicatatd

Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
You're welcome!
Dr. Michio Abe

In brief: Crestor (rosuvastatin)

As far as the effects on HDL with statins are concerned, they are very modest with any statin.
Lipitor (atorvastatin) may actually lower HDL in some cases. Crestor has the best result on HDL among statins. I frequently run advanced cholesterol test called vap. I am impressed with Crestor on various markers. Talk to your doc about Niaspan and/or trilipix as adjuncts if hdl/trigs not controlled w/ a statin alone.

In brief: Crestor (rosuvastatin)

Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Michio Abe
Dr. Gregory Hines

In brief: Crestor (rosuvastatin)

Crestor is probably a bit better than Lipitor (atorvastatin) or a generic statin, but only marginally so.
The best drug for raising your HDL is Niacin in the 1500-2000mg range, and the best drug for lowering your triglycerides is tricor in the 160-200mg range.

In brief: Crestor (rosuvastatin)

Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Gregory Hines
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology