I get neck massages for moderate to severe neck arthritis, often the pain seems to emanate in the muscles of my upper-back. Which should be main focus?

Dr. Haleh Niknia-Agdassi
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Multi focus

Moderate to severe neck arthritis can cause referred pain and spasms to the upper back muscles.
Massage therapy can be helpful in reducing pain. In order to decrease the pain a multi disciplinary approach will likely be more successful including being mindful of posture/ergonomics, stretching and strengthening program, stress reduction and others. Discuss with your md.

In brief: Multi focus

Dr. Haleh Niknia-Agdassi
Dr. Haleh Niknia-Agdassi
Dr. Kamlesh Desai

In brief: Neither

Focus on decreasing stress in life - usual cause of upper back /neck pain besides arthritis.

In brief: Neither

Dr. Kamlesh Desai
Dr. Kamlesh Desai