My cholesterol is230, but my HDL is high and LDL low, with low triglycerides and a good ratio. Do I need to lower cholesterol?

Dr. Kamlesh Desai

In brief: No

No.

In brief: No

No.
Dr. Kamlesh Desai
Dr. Kamlesh Desai
Dr. Hanriet Minasian

In brief: Depends

The newer guidelines for cholesterol recommend different levels depending on other medical conditions you may have.
For example, diabetics and those who have had strokes or heart attacks should aim for an LDL <70. However , if LDL is good, your total is going to be high because of your high hdl.Speak to your physician for your customized lipid goals based on your medical history and disease risk.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Hanriet Minasian
Dr. Hanriet Minasian
2 comments
Dr. Debra Carter-Miller
There are now "expanded"lipid panels which determine particle number and risk for CV disease. CRP and genetic markers now help us determine risk and better treat . High and low are now relative terms. We can determine the potential for developing CV disease and when to treat and which statin is most effective. Personalized medicine has arrived.
Dr. Debra Carter-Miller
Particle size is determined too. Big fluffy chol parricles are less harmful than small dense particles.
Dr. Mikhail Lyubich

In brief: No

You heart attack risk average or below average based on your lipid profile only.
Make sure you take care of other risk factors such as smoking, weight.

In brief: No

Dr. Mikhail Lyubich
Dr. Mikhail Lyubich
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology