I am to take 50, 000 iu of vitamin d (my level is 26.7) once a week. Could I take one capsule every other week and still benefit?

Dr. Hanriet Minasian
With that level, you will still get the benefit, but it will take your vitamin d storage a little longer to build up.
Vitamin d is fat soluble, which means that our body will continue to store it. Levels can easily be assessed with blood testing.

Dr. Hanriet Minasian
Dr. Hanriet Minasian
Dr. Susan Wingo
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: Will take longer
A low level of vitamin d means that the body as a whole is low, including the fat cells that store vitamin d.
Just taking a normal daily amount won't bring the fat stores up to normal levels, so a high dose capsule is used to catch up. Since there is a certain amount of vitamin d needed to do this, taking a capsule every other week means it will take twice as long to get caught up.

In brief: Will take longer
Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. Colin Kerr
In brief: Vitamin D deficiency
First, you should know that the institue of medicine and the national endocrinology group have lowered the threshold level for determining vitamin d deficiency from 30 ng/ml to 20 ng/ml, thus your current level would now be considered in the normal range.
Taking the vitamin d 50, 000 every other week would be effective, but over time would carry a risk of achieving excessive vitamin d levels.

In brief: Vitamin D deficiency
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Steven Seres