I run outside in the cold and my sinuses always get blocked up. I'm fine otherwise when not outside. What's going on? Normal? Can it be prevented?

Dr. Chris Tonozzi

In brief: Somewhat normal

A runny nose is common while exercising outside, especially in the cold.
It should run freely, though. Perhaps you have some sinus inflammation. A nasal steroid spray may help with this.

In brief: Somewhat normal

Dr. Chris Tonozzi
Dr. Chris Tonozzi
Dr. Robert Knox
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Cold & Stuffy nose

The nose acts as a thermometer and barometer. Sudden changes in temperature or barometric pressure will often lead to congestion.
The main function of the nose is to warm and humidify the air we breath. Cold air makes the nose work harder, thus, the swelling and stuffiness. Use an oral decongestant, psedoephedrine (sudafed), before you go outdoors. A nasal steroid spray works well also.

In brief: Cold & Stuffy nose

Dr. Robert Knox
Dr. Robert Knox
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine