I hear my heartbeat in my right ear. It seems to happen only in the evening. There is no pain involved. What could be going on?

Dr. Danny Westmoreland

In brief: Eustachian tube

The first thing to check is if your eustachian tube is open.
If it is not you will have amplification of sounds particularly in the ear that is down when you sleep.

In brief: Eustachian tube

Dr. Danny Westmoreland
Dr. Danny Westmoreland
Dr. Douglas Fronzaglia
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: Sometimes normal

Though is is often times normal, it could be a symptom of high blood pressure or worsening blockage in the carotid artery.
You will need to see your doctor for a full work up before calling it 'normal'.

In brief: Sometimes normal

Dr. Douglas Fronzaglia
Dr. Douglas Fronzaglia
Dr. Bennett Werner
I agree with Dr. Fronzaglia. Also, a partially or intermittently blocked eustachian tube (the passage from inside your nose to your middle ear) which follows colds, swimming, and changes in altitude - can cause you to hear your heart beat. Hearing your pulse when you lie down with your head on a pillow (blocking that ear) also often causes people to hear their pulse.
Dr. Umesh Patel