If I didn't have a planned c-section, could I have avoided a hysterectomy?

Dr. Sheila Goodman

In brief: Impossible to know

The risk of hysterectomy at the time of cesarean section is normally less with a planned surgery than 1 done in labor.
The most common reasons for needing a hysterectomy are bleeding or a problem with the placenta like an accreta (placenta grown into uterine wall). Talk to your doctor and get the explanation for what happened. That might make it easier to deal with.

In brief: Impossible to know

Dr. Sheila Goodman
Dr. Sheila Goodman
Dr. Gerard Honore
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Can't answer

Online. There are 100 facts we'd need to know about your history to answer this; it's really a question you'd do better speaking in person with a doctor about.

In brief: Can't answer

Dr. Gerard Honore
Dr. Gerard Honore
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham