I have an arachnoid cyst and a chiari 1 malformation. How will a neurosurgeon know which one is causing my tinitus, dizziness, and nausea?

Dr. Kevin Teal
Neurosurgery
In brief: Cyst Location
Unless the arachnoid cyst is in the area called your posterior fossa , the back of your skull area, the dizziness would more likely be related to a chiari.
The tinnitus should be assessed by ENT with hearing test. The nausea if it is exertional may be a sign of vertigo or due to the chiari if associated with a headache. I agree you need some workup to tease things out.

In brief: Cyst Location
Dr. Kevin Teal
Dr. Kevin Teal
Dr. Tung Nguyen
Neurosurgery
In brief: Working diagnosis
It depends on the location of the cyst, the extent of the chiari malformation on mri, what other symptoms you might have (difficulty swallowing, arm/legs symptoms, reflex changes).
You might need an evaluation by an ear-nose-throat surgeon to see if there is a problem with the hearing and balance nerves. It becomes about choosing the most likely explanation after all the info are available.

In brief: Working diagnosis
Dr. Tung Nguyen
Dr. Tung Nguyen
Dr. Eric Weisman