I recently went on bioidentical hormones. Gyn says life will get better. Whats up with the acne, though? 50 looking like 16. Any advice?

Dr. Michael Sinclair
In brief: Tweak the components
When i manage bioidentical hormones, i get baseline labs, and then treat based on symptoms.
Acne can mean too much testosterone or possibly not enough estrogen. I repeat labs when i get "opposite" symptoms like low libido and acne at the same time. Your acne might just need some topical treatment and an effective skin care regimen. Avoiding sugar seems to help acne.

In brief: Tweak the components
Dr. Michael Sinclair
Dr. Michael Sinclair
Dr. Bryan Treacy
Gynecology
In brief: Blood test
I agree with dr. Sinclair. If you are feeling much better however, you may need to make a choice regarding testosterone.
I check labs every four months & adjust accordingly after speaking with each woman. For those with acne, I have an esthetician for chemical peels which eradicate this problem for most women.

In brief: Blood test
Dr. Bryan Treacy
Dr. Bryan Treacy
Dr. Wendy Askew
I agree, you may need some adjustments made to your regimen to see if they acne clears up. Maybe decreasing the estrogen or testosterone components could help.
Dr. Melissa Young
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: Not advisable
The endocrine society and the american association of clinical endocrinologists are against the use of bio identical hormones.
They are not regulated. There is no clearly defined safe or effective dose. Different practitioners use different compounding pharmacies. Acne means you are getting excess amounts of male hormones.

In brief: Not advisable
Dr. Melissa Young
Dr. Melissa Young
2 comments
Dr. Soroosh Armandi
Dr. Young is absolutely right about this topic. However, the evidence is lacking due to funding. These hormones can't be patented, therefore drug companies will not invest money in performing clinical trials. As a result, the trials that have been performed with BHRT are usually small and not significant enough to produce compelling evidence. BHRT is still alternative medicine.
Dr. Michael Sinclair
I agree with Dr. Armandi. The evidence will never be available due to lack of funding. Even so, I see no evidence that using bioidentical hormones is any more dangerous. To me, using them makes sense. With careful monitoring and concerned experienced doc, you should have great results.
Dr. Bryan Treacy
Gynecology
In brief: Hormone Testing
For me, serum testing is how i manage bioidentical hormones.
The numbers plus talking to women tell me what's going on. We see everyone every four months and adjust accordingly. My guess is that free testosterone and/or dhea may be too high for women with this symptom.

In brief: Hormone Testing
Dr. Bryan Treacy
Dr. Bryan Treacy
Dr. Soroosh Armandi
Anti-Aging Medicine
In brief: Testosterone & dht
When a patient is placed on bhrt, repeat bloodwork needs to be performed in case of side effects.
This minimizes toxicity. If your testosterone has risen too fast then a dosage adjustment needs to be made. Dhea-s needs to be tested due to its androgenic properties. But in females receiving female hormones then elevated Progesterone can cause acne. I would be intrigued to know your regimen.

In brief: Testosterone & dht
Dr. Soroosh Armandi
Dr. Soroosh Armandi
2 comments
Dr. Soroosh Armandi
May I ask why testosterone was given? Im not against women receiving low dose testosterone but it needs a good reason. Usually due to lack of sex drive or your testosterone levels for a female was extremely low. Also do you rub that cream daily or twice a day?
Dr. Soroosh Armandi
I do think your dosages are fine. I would skip on the testosterone if you're getting acne. I can't really comment on what labs your obgyn should order. Two reasons, its not professional to instruct another doc what to do and secondly what you're doing is still considered alternative medicine. Its not fully FDA approved and this site is not meant for alternative therapy
Dr. Adam Levy