I suffer form bronchial asthma, is it ok if my doctor gives me carboprost if I start post-partum bleeding?

Dr. William Walsh
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Probably not

There are many ways to stop post partum bleeding, so avoiding anything that might cause brochospasm (the airway muscles contracting so you can't breath) is wise.
That said, if it was that or a hysterectomy it is worth trying, as the bronchospasm is likely not to occur and is treatable.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. William Walsh
Dr. William Walsh
Dr. Craig Keathley

In brief: Should be avoided

Generally, Hemabate (carboprost) should be avoided in a patient with asthma as it can precipitate bronchospasm.
Fortunately, there are other emergency measures that can be utilized for management of acute post partum hemorrhage that are more appropriate as first line treatment in a patient with asthma.

In brief: Should be avoided

Dr. Craig Keathley
Dr. Craig Keathley
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham