If I take calcium channel blockers, am I increasing my chance of osteoporosis later in life?

Dr. William Banks Hinshaw

In brief: No

You are probably concerned that the drug may reduce your absorption of dietary calcium.
This is definitely not true of the most common generic, verapamil, and unlikely to be true of any of this drug class. If you wish to have a copy of the relevant literature, send me a request. The calcium pump, which absorbs the nutrient, differs from the channel these drugs block.

In brief: No

Dr. William Banks Hinshaw
Dr. William Banks Hinshaw
Dr. Padmavati Garvey

In brief: Possibly

Calcium channel blockers due decrease calcium absorption.
Talk to your doctor about it. I assume you are on the calcium channel blocker for a good reason and should not stop it unless instructed by your doctor. You can take steps to avoid osteoporosis such as eating a calcium rick diet, doing daily weight bearing exercies, like walking, and having 15 minutes of sun exposure a day.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Adam Smith